14 Common Flowers & Plants Poisonous To Dogs
Learn About Flowers & Plants Toxic To Dogs
Spring is here, the garden is waking up, flowers are poking their heads above the ground. Now is the time when we start thinking about planting the garden for the year.
Flowers, I love them. Seeing the bright colours in the garden, yellow, blue, white, pink always cheers me up. My favourites are daffodils, tulips, cornflowers, lily of the valley and lilac, but really I do just love all flowers in all colours.
Did you know that there are some flowers and plants which are poisonous for dogs? Barney and Sandy have never really been interested in nibbling on flowers, or leaves or bulbs, but if you have a dog (especially a puppy as they get into everything!) you might be surprised to learn that many of the flowers we all love, and have in our garden, are poisonous, to our dogs.
I definitely was surprised!
Flowers & Plants Poisonous To Dogs
Here are some of the most common flowers that are poisonous to dogs;
- Daffodil bulbs
- Lily of the Valley
- Sweet Pea
- Tulip Bulbs
We have 9 of the above in our garden!
Depending on what part of the plant/flower your dog has eaten the following are symptoms to be aware of, if your dog has ingested some part of flowers or plants;
- Rapid, racing heart beat
- Upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhoea
- Lack of appetite
- Increased thirst
- Excessive drooling
- Weakness in legs, loss of balance, dizziness, staggering
- Drowsiness, coma
- Rapid breathing
- Blood in urine or vomit
- Dilated pupils
- Excitability or lethargy
The Dogs Trust have a comprehensive list of plants and flowers which are poisonous to dogs along with possible symptoms.
What To Do:
- If you think your dog has eaten something poisonous in the garden, here’s what to do;
- Don’t panic
- Remove your dog from the source of the possibly poison
- Contact your vet, with the following information, where possible:
- What you think your dog has eaten
- When was your dog exposed to the poison?
- Any symptoms?
- Take a sample of what was eaten to the vet
- If they have vomited or had diarrhoea, take a sample with you if possible.
Before planting and designing your garden for the year ahead, speak to someone at your local garden centre for advice on plants and flowers that are safer for your dog (or cat). They will also be able to advise on the best slug pellets and garden chemicals to use. Be aware of cocao mulch, as this can, if ingested, potentially cause the same symptoms as chocolate poisoning.
It isn’t always easy, but try to be aware of your dog whilst in the garden, especially if you know they like to dig and eat things they shouldn’t!
the Scruffy Little Terrier Shop!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
One of the reasons that I wanted to bring a dog into my life is because I love to go for walks and, for me, walking without a dog just didn't feel right. Of course, before we bring dogs into our homes, we can pick and chose when we go for a walk. Mostly, we will check...
The Luxury Collection from Big Bobble Hats We are very excited to bring into the Scruffy Little Terrier family the, much-loved British brand, Big Bobble Hats. We hope you will love the Big Bobble Hats Luxury Collection as much as we do. These original bobble hats are...